Wednesday, October 24, 2007

I Love Shrinky Dinks!!

I just stepped back in time about twenty years when I discovered a cheap and easy way to make Shrinky Dinks. I haven't had so much fun reminiscing in who knows how long. I remember my very first package of the blessed plastic imprinted with pictures of none other than Rainbow Brite. Wow, were they ever cool! Well, I have since learned the secret to those amazing little things and have been making them like crazy with my girls.
They look just how I remembered them and they are really easy to make. Here are the instructions for anyone wanting to have a little retro-fun!
1. Gather some #6 plastic (the clear plastic used on most salad bar containers)
2. Lightly sand the plastic to make the colored pencils/crayons stick.
3. Outline any coloring book characters or draw fun pictures with a sharpie.
4. Color & cut out pictures. (make sure to leave room for a hole punch if you want to string it from a necklace)
5.Bake at 350 for about 2-3 minutes on an aluminum foil "tray". The plastic will start to curl and shrink after about 30-45 seconds, then it will straighten back out.
6. Let it cool and enjoy!

1 comment:

Maureen said...

I am sooo making these. Thanks for the info.