Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Go Sun Devils!

I was at the grocery store checkout today and saw three Mylar balloons with the letters A S U (the "S" was even the right direction) and, although I realized immediately that it was meant to be read from the other direction, I found it kind of funny that everyone leaving the store got to see a tribute to Arizona State...so, as a lead in on my post about this patriotic weekend, I thought I would also give a shout out to ASU since my local grocer did, too.

Since it was a nice long weekend, I am just going to give the quick low-down. Sadly, I didn't take any pictures, so I'll have to swipe some from Greg's dad to post here, but for now, here is the low-down of our weekend.

Friday we left as soon as the girls were up and ready for Pine View Reservoir. We went up the weekend before and there was NO beach, and although it was still pretty sparse, we found a little sand for the kids to dig around in & they loved it. They also enjoyed riding on Grandpa Steve's 3 man tube, swimming in the lake & playing with COUSINS!

That night, we went to see fireworks in Centerville, and as we were driving home we watched the North Salt Lake fireworks which happened to be directly in our line of sight the whole way home. It was really fun.

Saturday morning we woke our poor, exhausted girls up for a family breakfast at my aunt's house, then loaded them up for a trip to Mirror Lake. The drive took a little bit longer than usual because as I looked back at Becca I noticed a slightly green hue to her face, so we pulled into WalMart & got Becca some Dramamine... We were riding with Greg's parents, who have a brand new car, and I was very grateful Becca didn't single-handedly eliminate the "new car" smell.


We had a great picnic lunch, walked around the lake, fished, and only got a little bit of rain.

In fact, considering the ominous weather forecast for the weekend, we really lucked out. I think that both Pine View and Mirror Lake were both a lot less crowded than they normally would be on the 4th of July weekend because of the prediction of rain, but we didn't have any trouble with the weather, and we definitely were successful at wearing out our girls.

I am very sad that I didn't get a picture of it, but when we got back from Mirror Lake we were unloading the Suburban and all three of the oldest girls just lay down on the grass and crashed (Rachel was asleep in her car seat).

On the night of the fourth, after dinner and a short nap for the girls, we went to Greg's sister's house for the "Avenue of Fire" celebration. We had root beer floats, cotton candy, glow sticks, music and, of course, a great firework display.

This picture isn't from the "Avenue of Fire" it's from Greg's work party, which was also fun, and didn't get blogged about, but at least it gives an idea of what the evening entailed.

The only downside to the entire weekend was trying to wake up the girls for 9:00 church the next day. OK, so I had a hard time waking up, too. But I think it was worth it.

1 comment:

Maureen said...

Busy weekend. Sounds like so much fun. My kids were tired too after fireworks on the 4th. It's the one time I've been glad we have church at 12:30.