Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Mary Poppins

Growing up, one of my favorite scenes from Mary Poppins was the tea party on the ceiling. I thought it was such a wonderful thing, that I convinced Rick that we needed to figure out how to have our own tea party on the ceiling. We figured out that we could shimmy up a hallway or door frame to get our heads to touch the ceiling, and from there all we needed was a little imagination. We spent countless hours playing on the ceiling (and subsequently washing our footprints off the walls), and it is a memory I'll always treasure.
Well, today the girls figured out our trick and have been checking out all of our door frames to see if they are climbable (to their astonishment any frame that 'only has one door in it' will work!).
It is really fun for me as a parent to see my kids enjoying the same things I did when I was little.
Watching their plays/dance performances reminds me of the many ballets, plays and comic routines I performed with my siblings--at home and at my grandparents' house, and it makes me a little nostalgic, a little sorry for my parents and grandparents and the amateur productions they had to watch, and extremely grateful for the chance I have to watch my girls forming bonds that will carry them through their lives.

1 comment:

Maureen said...

Seriously? Yuck. What will they think of next?